The AclBehavior is pretty confusing for a newb. I understand that it
is used for parent/child relationships. I assume that I need to set
User.group_id to a value when a user registers. I want the default
group to be Members, which has an id of 3. So, in my register
controller, I put:

$this->data['User']['group_id'] = 3

However, I don't know if this is the best solution.