I have an auth / acl setup and I want to set up  where a  user can select if
they want their profile to be public or private.

Public : anyone can view even if not logged into the site

Private: must be logged in and permission check (like  Hi5 or facebook)

So whats the ideal way to approch this. Allow public access to the function
profile () with

$this->Auth->allowedActions = array('profile') ; //since this has to be
public if Public Profile is selected

but in the beforeFilter run the
checkPublishSetting ($owner)
if 0
allow....
else
checkFriends ($owner , $requestor)
if 1
allow
else
redirect or message

Would this be the best way to handle this idea?

Thanks

Dave