Just as an addition, your solution worked great.  I overcame the
Helper::url() problem by making a custom AppHelper with the following
code:

function url($url = null, $full = false) {
        $url = parent::url($url, $full);

        if (!empty($this->params['facebook'])) {
                $url = str_replace($this->base, $this->base . '/fb', $url);
        }

        return $url;
}

That way I can use html helper, etc. without it breaking my URLs.