I noticed one bug in Trac for disabling E_DEPRECATED warnings in
CakePHP for PHP 5.3, but nothing about a general migration of the code
away from deprecated PHP functions.  If 1.3 is going to be designed
for PHP > 5.0 then this seems to be a good goal as well, and helpful
to projects migrating their own old code bases.  So far as I can tell,
moving away from deprecated functions or language use doesn't prevent
my code from running on older versions of PHP 5.x.

PHP 5.3 is in RC3 now, so perhaps it is time to reopen the bug in Trac
as well as considering reducing the number of error messages at the
E_DEPRECATED level in the trunk.

skylar