I'm not a huge fan of the cake console stuff, for various reasons.
However, you can go to http://blogchuck.com/?p=22 and check out the
instructions for setting up a cron job in cake without using curl.
One note, however, is that you must have command line access to set
this up (and php has to be installed / compiled with the command line
interface, which not all shared hosting packages have).

I've currently got this up and running on my systems.  To invoke, you
just setup a cron job to run php /path/to/cron_dispatcher.php /
controller/action/parameters/go/here and it'll execute.