Aplogies gain for the double post, email issues.

Anyway... we do a lot of logging of record creation etc to the db for
various reasons and ideally a behavior is what your after, but for a quick
solution its easy enough to call the log model on the fly in your  model
callbacks like

function afterSave($created) {
        $action = $created ? 'create' : 'update';
        $Log =& ClassRegistry::init('Log');
        $Log->create();
        $Log->save(array('action' => $action, 'model' => $this->name,
'foreignKey' => $this->id));
}

That's a pretty crude example but nothing wrong with doing it that way if it
fits your needs. If you were to be doing this in your app model to trigger
on all models, be sure to stop the callback on your log model save,
otherwise it will eternally log it self to death.

$Log->save(array('action' => $action, 'model' => $this->name, 'foreignKey'
=> $this->id), array('callbacks' => false));

HTH

Paul