I think you meant debug > 0 :-)

I've seen something similar that I've meant to post about here. I had
some code that included some lines with Debugger::log($something)
that, when I had debug = 0 caused a fatal error. That doesn't seem
right at all. I'd assumed that it would either write to the log anyway
or not at all, but a fatal error seems like a bug.