Then Cake might be trying to save utf8 to the "latin" database and
converting the data for you at some stage.

Come to think of it... is the problematic data being saved to the db?
Can you check the contents of the database directly?
Cake might be converting the encoding at the output of the dump.

As a rule, when you have the db, Cake or the html set to a different
character encoding than the others you will see strange things with
non-latin characters. (then again, the minus-sign should be generic
enough to pass untouched).

Sorry, just ramblings. I havent investigated the details. I just
figured I'd better set everything to the same encoding to avoid
further problems (and oh boy did I have problems at one point).