I was also having some trouble with this a couple weeks ago.  I was able to
get Ionics Isapi Rewrite <http://www.codeplex.com/IIRF> working though with
IIS5, PHP 5.3, fastcgi and their filter.  The big thing was making sure your
home directory was the app/webroot location and not the root.  Then, this
IsapiRewrite4.ini file worked for me:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f [AND]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?url=$1 [L]

I'm not sure it'll support multiple sites though, but if you are running one
Cake app on a server (like me), it should be more than adequate.

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen Cuppett
http://www.stephencuppett.com