In addition to what Pietro suggested I doing the following (the same can be
adapted for json rss)
parseExtensions for xml in router - Router::parseExtensions() see screen 25
of link of first link

check if requested format is xml

respondAs Xml (ensure that debug is off; set layout xml you can use sub
directories for layouts - being able to have an easy switch in the code to
have debug off when reponding as anything other than html I have found
helpful in some cases)

1)
http://www.slideshare.net/mentos/cakephp-fundamentals-12-ocphp-presentation see
frame #25