hi Alastair,

> Here's the content of my database.php file. Nothing out of the
> ordinary here?
>
> class DATABASE_CONFIG {
>
>        var $default = array(
>                'driver' => 'mysql',
>                'persistent' => false,
>                'host' => 'localhost',
>                'login' => 'XXXXX',
>                'password' => 'XXXXX',
>                'database' => 'landscaper',
>                'prefix' => '',
>        );
>
>        var $production = array(
>                'driver' => 'mysql',
>                'persistent' => false,
>                'host' => 'localhost',
>                'login' => 'XXXXX',
>                'password' => 'XXXXX',
>                'database' => 'landscaper',
>                'prefix' => '',
>        );
>
> }

Another option (this is what I do) would be to have just one db config
called default, but define the class in a switch statement that's
checking the HTTP_HOST.

<?php

switch (env('HTTP_HOST')) {
        // Local/dev version
        case 'local.domain.com':
        case '127.0.0.1':
                class DATABASE_CONFIG {
                       var $default = array(
                               'driver' => 'mysql',
                               'persistent' => false,
                               'host' => 'localhost',
                               'login' => 'XXXXX',
                               'password' => 'XXXXX',
                               'database' => 'landscaper',
                               'prefix' => '',
                       );
                }
                break;
        // Live
        default:
                class DATABASE_CONFIG {
                       var $default = array(
                               'driver' => 'mysql',
                               'persistent' => false,
                               'host' => 'localhost',
                               'login' => 'XXXXX',
                               'password' => 'XXXXX',
                               'database' => 'landscaper',
                               'prefix' => '',
                       );
                break;
}

?>

I use this same technique to turn on/off debug, caching etc, means one
set of app files can be SVNd to different environments without
changes.

Been meaning to blog about it, will try to soon.

hth

jon

--

jon bennett