I have

  ImageSet hasMany Image
  Image actsAs MeioUpload (an upload behavior from the Bakery)

My add form has one ImageSet and 3 Images.

When I $this->ImageSet->saveAll($this->data) in the controller, it
creates the ImageSet and Image records, but the callbacks aren't
called for Image.

I know this is expected -- callbacks on associations do not get called
in Cake 1.2.

The question is: is there a way to get around this limitation and have
the callbacks triggered? I've not thought of a way to do this short of
overloading saveAll() in my ImageSet model.

There is this somewhat related patch from two years ago.
https://trac.cakephp.org/ticket/2056

Thanks!