OK, I'm trying to figure this out and getting wacky results as I test:
I'm playing with custom-built routes in the following format:

/:town-name/:action/:id

The route works fine for correct URLs, but I'm confused as to what
CakePHP does with URLs which don't conform to the regex included in
the third argument to the Router::connect() method. Here is my code:

Router::connect(
    '/:town-name/:action/:id',
    array('controller' => 'potholes'),
    array(
        'town-name' => '[a-z/-]+',

If I put in an erroneous URL like /roch3ster/view/this-post, I get the
error "Roch3sterController could not be found." If I put one in that
messes up the third parameter, /rochester/view/bo3ogers, I get
"RochesterController could not be found."

It may be that some of the other routing I'm doing is messing up the
show. But can anyone tell me what the expected behavior aught to be?