Thanks for your quick and good response.

I have a small virtual server with Ubuntu and I used the Plesk Panel
to create users and ftp accounts. But I also had some problems when
connecting as root and creating folders for the www-data user.

How easy can you install applications on openSUSE. The last Suse I
used was version 6.1 I think. How is the console-based YaST? Are there
always current versions of PHP and MySQL. And how about SVN and Git?
Can you get all the important libraries for web development without
needing to build them on your own? I rarely used configure, make
install.

Is there any good argument against Ubuntu?