Does your User model have both password and username fields?  If not
don't forget to set Auth's "fields" parameter.

Another problem may be the way your passwords are hashed before
they're saved to User. You should not use PHP's or MySQL's md5 or sha
functions, but $Auth->password instead  (or, if you set up a
registration form, User.password will automatically be hashed
correctly).

Martin