It would be helpful if you posted the actual code of your find(), but
it would appear that you are not forming your conditions array
correctly. I haven't had any issues using LIKE, and maybe this link
will help : http://book.cakephp.org/view/74/Complex-Find-Conditions
."Book.title LIKE" => "A%" should give you the results your looking
for.