you should take a look at my ideas a couple of weeks ago
http://www.cakephpforum.net/index.php?showtopic=1588

i am almost finished with this plugin
(as i had the same intention you have - keeping the work at a minimum,
especially with multiple sites to work with)

my ideas go a little bit further
importing/exporting from other .po files or database translation
tables the ones that are equal to the new project's
(same string: usually you can use this translated string right away)
still flagging this field with "not approved"

allowing "non-programmers" to translate via web-interface
(just dump the new table to a .po file afterwards

experimental thoughts:

maybe even allow "rewriting" some strings in the templates themselves
__('someString') could be found similar to the shell extraction method
and replace by __('someNewString') right from the webinterface
if there was a spelling error or whatever
this should be allowed to some people, though (maybe even localhost
only)
the changes could be commited to svn afterwards - and the live site
updated with these changes

mark