I have two ideas but I can't be sure which is the best for you.

One way to go is to force joins (or possibly sub-selects) and sort on
the modified field from the replies table. You wouldn't want to or
need to get all the records just the "most recent" one.

Another way to go is to try to make something like counterCache but
instead of updating a count you update a datetime field whenever a new
record is created on existing one edited. So when a new reply is
saved, Reply updates Thread which then updates Forum. You would end up
with updated time-stamps in all your models.

/Martin