You should try to pin-point it a bit.
Is the browser receiving the correct encoding in the header?
Is the problem for static text in the layout or text from the
database?
Is the problem there for both old data and new data?

There are many little details that are important since you can
potentially introduce encoding problems in many different ways.

It can be the webserver forcing it's default encoding on html and text
output.
It can be that you used Cakes schema migrations (which do not include
a lot of encoding info from the database).
It can also be that the data you migrated to the server got messed up
in the process.
It can even be php files messed up by an ftp client.

I have had, probably, every encoding problem imaginable. Bring on the
details and I'll try to suggest some specific solutions.

/Martin