The title may be misleading, but bear with me.

I would like to use CakePHP to create one application, which then has
multiple instances. Think of it, if you will, as different websites
being powered by the same application--not a copy of it. Each instance
(website) would have its own database and website-specific files and
configurations, but they all load the same CakePHP application to
power it.

The basic idea as I have it is to have different directories, each
containing a .php file with configuration options, which then loads
the application from another directory. Something like this:

/mysite
/myothersite
/anothersite
/app

...where the first three directories contain the single .php file,
images and possibly a cache, and the app holds the application.

The reason I want to do this is because of it being easier to maintain
one installation per server than having 10 or 20 or 50 separate
installations of the same application. Upgrading would be infinitely
easier. It might even be faster and take less resources from the
server.

For the record, I'm somewhat new to CakePHP. I'm an experience PHP
developer who also have extensive Rails background, so while I'm new
to Cake, I'm not new to PHP or the MVC architecture.

My question is whether this is a viable approach. Is using one CakePHP
app with different databases going to screw up caching? Can I disable
the caching and build my own caching system in the individual
directories? Is it going to make things slower than if I had
individual CakePHP apps for all of the websites? How would the single
application handle, say, 50 websites?

Basically, I'm looking for thoughts and ideas on whether the single
installation of the application with X number of websites is a better
approach than the X number of individual installations.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Sebastian