@Martin, thanks. debug($activeUser); returns the type of output I was
expecting.

@abc, I'll look into the php version also.

Now on to my problem, once I actually stopped to _read_ the debug
output I realized that the $activeUser variable is NOT CHANGING when I
log out and log back in again. In addition to the partial setup that I
described above, here are the login and logout functions in my
users_controller.php:

        function login() {
                if( $this->Auth->user() ) {
                        // Redirect to start page.
                        $this->redirect( array('controller' => 'pages',
'action' =>
'start') );
                }
        } // end login()

        function logout() {
                $this->Session->destroy();
                $this->Session->SetFlash(__('Successfully logged out', true));
                $this->redirect( array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
'home') );
        } // end logout()

I am using php 5.2.9-1 and cakePHP 1.2.3.8166.

Thanx again, McS.