You need to manage your character encoding a bit more than that, I
think.

You have a lot of variables that all should be in sync with each-other
for the best results.
-Your editor (Textmate, Eclipse, Notepad...)
-Your documents (created before now) should be checked and converted.
-Your CakePHP application settings
-Your database connection
-Your database schema (and definitely any sql data transferred between
servers)
-Your html. In the head section.
-Your web server can sometimes take over and do what it thinks is
best.
-Your ftp client might be sending what it thinks the server wants.

Did I miss one? Hope not.

With these in mind you can start with the ones that differ between
your static pages and Cake pages.
Do characters work in static content in Cake? Things typed into a view
or layout.
Does old and new data entered into the database differ?

These things should start to point yo in the direction of your
culprit. There could also be several factors combining to cause
problems.