I'm building a site for an industry organisation and have a tricky (I
think) architecture problem. There's a table for members, with first &
last name, email, password, etc. The org has meetings--usually
annually--for which anyone can attend. However, there is a charge for
attendance, and all attendees must be recorded. Because there may be
both members and non-members, I thought that the simplest solution
would be to create a non_members table, which has many of the same
columns as members. I'm not really keen on doing any sub-classing
here.

Anyway, so, if I have members, non_members, and meetings tables, I
figure that I can then create a meetings_attendees table. Basically,
the attendee can be either a member or a non_member. Should I go with
a schema like this?

meeting_id
member_id
non_member_id

This seems like a kludge, at best (if not broken). Can anyone suggest
a better approach?