I'm a little unfamiliar in how CakePHP interacts with AJAX, so please
forgive me if I've missed some critical points.

I've tried setting some beforeFilter settings in my AppController
using RequestHandler, as follows:

if($this->RequestHandler->isAjax()){
        //set debug to 0 for this to always work
        Configure::write('debug', '0');
        //$this->layout = 'json';
        //$this->autoRender = false;
        $this->disableCache();  //might help if issues arise
        $this->RequestHandler->setContent('json', 'json');
}

The two commented lines seem to break my jQuery $.ajax() call when not
commented out, if I comment them out (as shown here), and instead
place them in the specific controller's action rather than a
beforeFilter, my jQuery call runs just fine.  My "json" layout view is
the following:

<?php
        header("Pragma: no-cache");
        header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, max-age=0, must-
revalidate");
        header('Content-Type: application/json');
        echo $content_for_layout;
?>

My jQuery $.ajax() call's setup is below:

var textValue = $('#notes').val();
var postData = 'data[DeskNote][desk_id]=' + StatTracker.deskId + '&data
[DeskNote][note]=' + textValue;
$.ajax({
        type: 'GET',
        url: 'http://example.com/desks/view/1.json',
        dataType: 'json',
        timeout: (5 * 1000),    //wait 5 seconds before going to FAIL state
        success: function(msg){
                alert('success');
        },
        error: function(e){
                alert('error');
        }
});

I guess I'm confused as to why the issue would cause error when set in
a beforeFilter, and as I'm not entirely sure how to debug this (the
AJAX is actually being called from a desktop application), it's
causing me some confusion.  Does anyone have any suggestion or
enlightenment as to what I am possibly misunderstanding in how
RequestHandler and json layouts work in tandem?