I don't think is affects your problem but in the code you posted the
html would be invalid. The <form> and </form> should be at the same
hierarchical leven in the html but you have the "end" inside a div.

A 404 is what you would get is SecurityComponent decided to kick you
in the behind. It is called blackHole() and is the end of the road for
any bad request. You can specify "blackHoleCallback" on the component
(in the beforeFilter of your controller) and name one method in your
controller as the callback. This method will then receive the error
and giving you the opportunity to debug what is going on.

$this->Security->blackHoleCallback = 'some_method_name';

Or you can open the Security Component directly and insert a debug in
blackHole... if you prefer that.