My solution was to extend the Email component into my own component
and add a new delivery type.

Someone recommended that if you set $this->delivery to 'mymailer'

and create the function __mymailer() the EmailComponent will use this
delivery method.

I then used a third party library for sending smtp emails. Anyone
doing this will realize that they'll need need to modify:

public function __renderTemplate

in order to get the templating system to work with their third party
mailer.