I think Tim is right here. Individual logins work in theory but in a
busy restaurant where supposedly a single computer will be logged in
all day and used by everyone... passwords would get swapped, written
on a post-it and other secure things in a heartbeat. Security =
putting the post-it under the keyboard so you have to move it 4in to
see the password. :)

As for updating the page. Go with ajax. The page loads displaying
"new" orders to fill. javascript is provided with a timestamp of when
the page loaded and can poll the server "any new orders since ...
17:46:32". The server can simply reply true or false to this request
and only when there are new orders do you need to refresh the page.
Since this will be lightweight and invisible to the user you can poll
every few seconds if you want since the request should be very
efficient and not take up a lot of time for the server. (You can also
update the list with ajax if you like but it is s bit more work for
little benefit.)

/Martin