On 9/20/2009 9:55 PM, Miles J wrote:
> On my current host I was on a shared environment and would constantly
> get an "internal error" message. After contacting my host they said I
> was using way too many resource/memory/cpu on the shared environment.
> So I upgraded to a dedicated private server and can now see my usage
> graphed.
>
> On average my CPU uses 100mb, while it does spike up to 200/250mb.
> However my memory usage on average is 300-400mb and spikes up to
> 600mb, and has even reached 900mb. Its costing me quite a bit of money
> to keep running these servers for these resource amounts.
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to optimize cake? Or fix memory leaks? Or
> which caching engine would be a good fit to fix this problem? Etc?

Matt has a great set of tips just for that:
http://www.pseudocoder.com/archives/2009/03/17/8-ways-to-speed-up-cakephp-apps/

He also has a great Lazy Loader plugin for cakephp which I've started to
use on all my projects:
http://github.com/mcurry/lazy_loader

If you still have problems after applying the above you most certainly
have to tweak your sql server: queries without indexes, slow queries, etc.
This requires a bit of reading, but it's worth it.

Fast googleing I've found this bash script which (teoretically) helps
you tune your MySQL configuration. (I haven't used it.)
http://www.day32.com/MySQL/tuning-primer.sh
http://www.day32.com/MySQL/