Loads very fast most of the time but it does load very slowly at other
times. I get results mostly around 0.06-0.1s but a few were all the
way up at 4.5s.

To me that suggests either some problem with disk speed. Are you on
(an overloaded) shared server or is this site all that is running on
the system?

Set debug to 0. Anything else and cach will not work at full capacity.
At debug 1 Cake will re-write the language cache, database schema
cache, paths... every 10s or so. That in combination with an
overloaded or for some other reason slow server could account the the
intermittent slowness.

If the server is under your control in any way I would also check if
it is hacked or someone trying to hack it (bombing the ftp or some
other service with logins). Check the logs. Is the web access log full
of requests to things that do not exist (like windows exploits on a
Linux server)? Is the general logs full of failed logins? Is some
process taking up a lot of cpu when it shouldn't? And so on...

/Martin