Thats what "layouts" are far. They are the wrappers/containers of all
your views. The layouts should include the headers/footers or your
HTML as well as the HTML html, head and body tags. Your view should be
generated within the body of your layout.

Any data passed to the view will be accessible in the layout.

No matter what is passed with set(), your layout can access it. If you
want more usage, try using $this in your layout/view.

Do a debug($this) in your view to see what parameters you can work
with.