If you are staying on MySQL you can do something like:

SET @pos=0;
UPDATE busstops SET pos = ( SELECT @pos := @pos +1 ) WHERE route = 1
ORDER BY pos ASC

Found that on:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/update.html

Roughly half-way down the comments. Search for:
Posted by Christian Hansel on July 1 2005 9:13am
and you should find the explanations to go with the code.

good luck