Hey,

I need to figure out a solution for a problem. Let's say I have an app
which is controlled bei Auth and ACL, so the user can log in into a
system and do stuff.

Everyone knows from several social networks or chat clients that when
a user is logged in, and one or more friends are online, too, the
status of these users is shown.

The question is, how could I do such a thing in Cake? Is there any
chance to retriebe the status of a user, and "flag" it so another user
(which is his/her friend or so) can see that he's actually "online"?

I think I could use a flag in the user's table like "online" with 1 or
0 as flag, and set the "online"-status to 1 as a user logs in. But if
a user does not log out, maybe because he just closes the browser,
there is no way to set the status back to 0 so an indicator could show
the user as "offline" (which means, that the field "online" would be
set back to 0).

I'm very interested in solutions for such problems, so if you have any
suggestions, please let me know.

Regards,

DD