Looking at some irc logs its true and he left a week ago.

Starts Oct 15th, 15:40
PhpNut: jose_zap actually he [gwoo] resigned over a week ago
PhpNut: right before I took the project over again
Ceeram: wouldnt it be great if PhpNut and Gwoo were both still on the
project
Ceeram: disagreement about strategies?
PhpNut: sometimes things do not work out the way people think
PhpNut: something like that
Ceeram: often people find out about that quicker then 4 years
jose_zap: ...so, which direction is the project taking now? what is
the difference with gwoo's vision?
PhpNut: what was gwoo's vision?
jose_zap: ...I hope you tell me about both :)
jose_zap: ...What's yours?
PhpNut: nothing has changed with the project itself, we are focusing
on cakephp and the community as always
PhpNut: ...continue to improve current code base, refactor making it
better
PhpNut: ...I will be finding a new PM over next few weeks
jose_zap: What I could say about gwoo's visions is that he brought
some cadence to the project. There were more frequent releases and a
clear increase of core contributors during his leadership
PhpNut: really?
PhpNut: I think releases slowed down when I was asked to let others
lead
Phally: so who are the candidates for PM? nate?
PhpNut: haha no
dogmatic69: i would vote for markstory to be pm
dogmatic69: hes on the ball
jose_zap: PhpNut: As new lead developer, could give us an estimate of
when will 1.3 and 2.0 will be released?
PhpNut: new lead?
PhpNut: I am not a new lead haha
PhpNut: markstory is leading 1.x
PhpNut: I am heading up future releases of 2.x with the help of others