Thankyou very much for your reply.

I hadn't done step number 3 in the config file (it was the default php
setting) - I don't have a dedicated server so the "cake" option was
what I wanted. As soon as I changed the core file, and updated the
cache the errors disappeared

I've done some reading and learnt something new about how sessions
actually work, so it's all good!