I should probably follow up, just in case I wasn't completely clear (I
was reading this over trying to remember what I had done in regards to
eZ Component integration as I am now at a point in the project where I
can try to tackle this).

CakePHP does a lot.  At its core (imho) it is a wrapper to enable easy
and automatic database integration and administration.  You set up
your SQL connection, either use the `bake` tool to create your MVC
(Model, Views, and Controller for a specific database table), or
design your own model, view and controller using a scaffold.

Because CakePHP allows you a lot of flexibility, and rapid speed of
development, after designing your database and using `bake` for all
the necessary tables and tweaking your relationships in the model, you
have simple (CRUD) add/update/edit/delete functionality within a few
minutes.  Add the Security Component, the RequestHandler and a few
views per model, and you've now got a web-based API to your database.

With a web-based API, you can now access the data with any application
you want, be it a CakePHP-based project (easier to integrate, of
course), Zend, eZ Components, or a custom made site - it doesn't
matter, you can just use Cake to power the database manipulation if
you wanted.  That's the power and benefit of CakePHP, rapid speed and
efficiency of getting a project to see the light of day, whether in
its final stage or not.  It could then be used to further progress the
site, or if at a later time it was determined to migrate to another
framework or codebase (Yii, perhaps, or maybe even a ColdFusion
application? heh.), because it's MVC, it shouldn't be too difficult to
do so if you needed.

So although you can't necessarily pull off parts of CakePHP that you
like and would want to use, you can still take advantage of CakePHP in
your project if it is helpful.  But again, it's still very important
to choose the tool or tools that best fits your project(s).