I'm using the paginator helper in CakePHP to both sort columns and
move between pages. I've modified $paginator->counter() in the Cake
libs to echo something like "Viewing page <input type="text"
value="$pagenumber"> of 167.  I want to allow my users to jump to any
page by typing it in the textbox counter and pressing enter. Here's my
code:

<?php $url="http://".$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'].$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];

$strippn = preg_replace('/\/page:[0-9]\d{0,11}/','',$url);

 ?>
<script type="text/javascript">
function append(pn) {
pn.action = '<?php echo $strippn."/page:"; ?>' + pn.pagenumber.value;
}
</script>
        <form class="pagination" name="pagination" method="post"
action="" onsubmit="append(this);">
          <?php echo $paginator->counter(); ?>
        </form>

The above solution works with the paginator, but there's got to be
something better that isn't as "dirty".  Any ideas? Maybe something
like this is already built into the paginator?