I'll say from the start: I don't have the answer to your question.

I reply simply to clarify some points and ask for a few more details.

IE spends 12sec "loading" before displaying the error on one page. At
the same time IE spends 3min "loading" on another page before
displaying the same error. Is that correct? If so, it does not sound
at all like a timeout.

If other browsers take similar amounts of time but successfully
display the page, then a php memory problem is unlikely. More likely
is a (small) problem in your output or headers that make IE go nuts.

You get no error, warning or notice from php during the execution? (I
assume you are at debug 1 and have not in some other way suppressed
php's error output)

You are outputting html? Not xml, xls, csv or any other type of
generated "file", right?

My best advice for you is to not fix this problem but instead "fix"
your report-gathering so that it does not take 3min to process the
page. I suggest you look into aggregating and caching your data so
that the pages do not have to do the calculations each time. Data from
3 months ago is not going to change is it? So, if you can process the
raw data via a cron job or something and store the aggregated data
ready for viewing then your page should load in a fraction of a
second, server cpu, ram sql... all will see significantly less load.
Everyone will be happy.

I prefer the star schema type of reports gathering. This is a
theoretical method of re-arranging your data so that it is suitable
for reports and in and you will be able to pull vastly different
reports from that same data a lot quicker than straight from your
normal data. On top of this you may want to further aggregate certain
data for specific reports.

I have written a few base-classes and methods to enable star-schema
generation in Cake. You will find my code and explanations in the
bakery.
http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/starschema-olap-setup-for-reporting

/Martin