Am I right when I say that you want
/app/webroot/manager/existing_file -- should be accessible
/app/webroot/manager/nonexistent_file -- should not be rewritten to a
"missing controller" page

It that is what you want, the lazy answer is that you don't have to
worry. When you are live... at debug 0... Cake will render a 404 page
for the missing file. It might just look a little different from the
default one Apache renders.

The less lazy answer was found on stackoverflow:

RewriteRule ^manager - [L,NC]

put that before the existing Cake rules and it should do the trick...
if app/webroot is in fact the web root. The thread contains a few
other variations if the above doesn't work.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/163302/how-do-i-ignore-a-directory-in-modrewrite