I ran the debgger and you are right. But I don't know where to take it
from here.
Would it be the default charset in my editor?
Would it be the encoding of the page in my HTML rendition?
Would it be Configure::write('App.encoding', 'utf-8'); in
bootstrap.php?
Would it be a limitiation of my OS?
I am lost here, I thing I tried pretty much everything ...

Maybe you have pointers to some other forum posts I did not read, a
step by step checklist ...

I did not mean to I-will-switch "blackmail", really, I am just on a
deadline and feel hopeless. And I am not talking about data conversion
it-out of DB with different charsets, just displaying static hard-
codded strings :-(

Thanks.