it MIGHT be related to the problem I just posted about:

http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/53dfabff727dda78#

I logged a bug, which has since been closed due to the feature of
enabling callbacks as part of the cache configuration:

http://code.cakephp.org/tickets/view/298

"You need to enable the 'callbacks' => true option for the cache
helper.
var $cacheAction = array(
    'index' => array('callbacks' => true, 'duration' => 31000)
);
With callbacks enabled, constructClasses(), beforeFilter(), and
component, initialize() and startup() callbacks will be fired in the
correct order. I'll add this to the documentation as its currently
missing. Callbacks need to be manually enabled as they slow down
cached pages."