I am trying to check the Acos table for words in the alias field to prevent
a user from creating a slug called "users' or "profiles" or any other method
/ action / function in the site when they sign up and select a unique URL

This is in my User model and called from the validation ruleset

'slug-notRestricted' => array(
    'rule' => array('checkRestricted', 'slug'),
    'message' => 'The unique URL you selected is restricted.',
    'last' => true)),

function checkRestricted($data)
  {

      $valid = false;
  $q = $this->query("SELECT Aco.alias From acos AS Aco WHERE Aco.alias LIKE
'%" . $data . "%' OR Aco.alias = '$data'");

  if(empty($q)){

   $valid = true;
  }

  return $valid;

  }

But nothing happens.

Any ideas where i went wrong? I am using jquery to validate remote so in
firebug I see under the POST TAB:

data[User][slug]        admin

fieldname       slug

Thanks