Using Mark Story's guide for mootools, pagination and the new JS
helper (http://mark-story.com/posts/view/creating-simple-ajax-
pagination-with-cakephp-1-3-and-mootools) I have managed to get
pagination somewhat working using jQuery.

I say somewhat because only every second request uses ajax (clicking
sort or the pagination links). Every alternate request results in a
full request. This is confirmed through Firebug however it's quite
clear as the whole page refreshes.

When I place alerts in the before and success handlers (in the
$paginator->options array) they only fire after the full refresh,
which seems odd.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas on how I might diagnose
this further?

their CakePHP related questions.