In routes.php file, I have this entry:

Router::connect('/:controller/add', array('action' => 'edit',
'origAction' => 'add'));

...which works great. It sends all add requests to the edit functions
and sets a variable called origAction to add where appropriate (this
is taken from Matt Curry's excellent book -
http://www.pseudocoder.com/free-cakephp-book/).

However, this does not work if I pass in a named parameter. For
example:

/controller/add/parameter:4

...does not redirect to the edit function. Instead it tells me I need
to create the add function in my controller.

I haven't done much routing and this is probably quite
straightforward. Can someone advise me how to adjust the routing so
that this is directed to the edit function and  allows me to collect
the named parameters there, please?

I'd like to be able to do this:

if (! empty($this->params['named']['parameter'])):

...in my edit function.

Thank you.

their CakePHP related questions.