Yes, it uses a redirect (inside the method), but the problem comes up
before reaching a possible redirect: empty($this->data) is true when
entering the method itself...

As for the redirect I think I already handle that with

class TestPapers extends PapersController {
        var $autoRender = false;

     function redirect($url, $status = null, $exit = true) {
         $this->redirectUrl = $url;
     }

but the problem, as I said, it's that no data is passed to the action...

John Andersen wrote:
> Is your add action using a redirect?
>    John
>
> On Dec 26, 6:48 pm, Lorenzo Bettini <bett...@dsi.unifi.it> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I already managed to test some actions of controllers using testAction
>> method; these were actions that were expected to return something.
>>
>> Now, I'd like to test an add action of the controller, thus, following
>> the book I did:
>>
>> $data = array(
>>         'Paper' => array(
>>                 'title' => 'MyTitle',
>>                 'year' => 2009
>>         ));
>> debug($data);
>> $results = $this->testAction(
>>         array(
>>         'controller' => 'papers',
>>         'action' => 'admin_add',
>>         ),
>>         array('data' => $data, 'method' => 'post')
>>         );
>>
>> but when executing the controller's action (I tried that with the
>> debug), the $this->data is always empty and uninitialized...  where am I
>> going wrong?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>         Lorenzo

their CakePHP related questions.