It can't be done "out of the box", since, like you mentioned, the only
tool that the Cake core comes with for managing schemas is the shell
class. But the schema shell just uses the CakeSchema model to do most
of the heavy lifting. So you could just make a SchemaController that
uses the CakeSchema model and then use that to handle schema updating.
A lot of the code in the schema shell can be transferred into a
controller with minimal changes - the database updating code is pretty
straightforward.

I've actually got something like this planned that I hope to get to in
the next week or so; I'll gladly share my results once I'm done.

- Jamie

On Jan 24, 10:31 am, Lorenzo Bettini <bett...@dsi.unifi.it> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I found
>
> http://book.cakephp.org/view/735/Generating-and-using-Schema-files
>
> which is cool to migrate database schemas with cake console; but I'd
> like to migrate and apply schema (e.g., for installation and update
> pages) from the application...  can it be done?
>
> thanks in advance
>         Lorenzo
>
> --
> Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
> HOME:http://www.lorenzobettini.itMUSIC:http://www.purplesucker.com
> BLOGS:http://tronprog.blogspot.com http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com

their CakePHP related questions.