I use this setup for all my apps.

I have the CakePHP core at one of the following locations, depending on the
version I am using for the app:

/Users/predominant/Projects/cakephp/1.1
/Users/predominant/Projects/cakephp/1.2
/Users/predominant/Projects/cakephp/1.3

Each app is in /Users/predominant/Projects/myprojectname

in myprojectname/webroot/index.php I change the CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH define
to be the directory containing the "cake" directory for the version I need:
/Users/predominant/Projects/cakephp/1.3

The apache document root is set to the webroot directory inside app/

Ensure debug is turned on to 2, so you can see any errors that may be present.
Ensure that your app/tmp directory structure is writable by the web server user

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Graham Weldon
e. gra...@grahamweldon.com