1) You're probably running CentOS on your production server.
2) CentOS ships with broken PCRE UTF-8 libraries.
3) A few of the validation rules in CakePHP use multibyte flags (e.g.
for alphanumeric validation)

Combine the above, and you get the problem you've described.

Solutions:

1) Ditch CentOS. It's a piece of shit for PHP web development. It
ships with PHP 5.1.6 (4 years old), an ancient version of Apache,
OpenSSL 3.x (which is currently at a 5.x release), and more. Using
CentOS is just going to cause pain and trouble.

2) Stick with the shit that is CentOS, and fix the RPMs:
http://gaarai.com/2009/01/31/unicode-support-on-centos-52-with-php-and-pcre/

3) Write your own custom validation rules for any built-in rules that
use multibyte flags in the regular expressions.

There aren't really any other options.
-jperras

On Feb 17, 3:43 pm, Atti <moltoespeci...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Just a quick question, I managed to get my data validation working
> perfectly on my local apache (XAMPP) web server, but as soon as I
> uploaded the site to the internet the validation flag seems to be
> always true, ie, there is not validation going on, so it seems. What
> settings on my live server would allow this to happen, the page im
> talking about is:http://www.findworkabroad.com/signup
>
> any help grately appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Atti