Now that you think you have mod_rewrite working properly, you might
want to try setting up a separate virtual host just to see if the
styles and images show up. If they do not, then mod_rewrite is still
not working properly. As for the 500 internal error, that could either
be a misconfiguration in your httpd.conf (or virtual hosts conf file),
or possibly a programming error.  However, if you're still getting 404
errors now, it sounds like your mod_rewrite still isn't working as it
should.

their CakePHP related questions.