A similar question was asked previously (about two years ago) and I
was just looking for some further clarification but didn't want to
revive a dead thread...

I was trying to do a find('list') on a model and trying to pull
information from another model (for grouping purposes) via the
containable behavior and it wouldn't work.  I dug into the containable
behavior file, and noticed on around line 175 (of v1.2.6) that if the
find type is "list" or "count", that containable won't do anything,
and just returns the base query without adding anything.

I was wondering why this is?  Is there some underlying issue that is
preventing the contained models from being added to the query when the
type is "list" or "count"?  Or should I report a bug?

I worked around the issue with a manual join, and everything works
fine, but it isn't as elegant as it could have been had containable
been used.  So this isn't a cry for help, merely a question why.

their CakePHP related questions.