I thought so after I wrote it out, but when I removed the hasOne
association I still get the same result.  For some reason when I
create a post, the post gets added with no problem but the seachable
fails and kicks an error.

Query: INSERT INTO `search_index` (`model`, `association_key`, `data`,
`modified`, `created`) VALUES ('User', NULL, '', '2010-03-08
06:05:15', '2010-03-08 06:05:15')

For some reason even though the model I am updating is the Post model
when search_index attempts to add a record to its table the User model
always overrides Post.  Obviously since this is not the correct model
there is no association_key (the id of the post) so it again fails.

their CakePHP related questions.